Sunday, January 4, 2009

RMHC

Devon and I have been resident Managers at the Ronald McDonald House of Charities for about a year now, and since we've been here, I've learned a lot about people. First, is that people really are good. It seems like all that is on tv is agony and despair, but the world does have good, charitable people in it. It was incredible seeing the generosity during the holidays. Everyday, families brought truckloads of presents, food, etc. And all the toys donated here have to be new, based on common immuno-deficiency tenants. It really was humbling seeing how good people were, and made me reflect on myself, and what I was doing for this world. The second thing I have learned, however, is how ridiculously ungrateful some people can be. I'm not going into details, but Devon and I have been able to sort people into two groups here - the "entitled" people and the grateful people. It is obvious that no matter how humble our circumstances can be, pride and hard-heartedness can still dwell in our hearts. Again, this revelation has made me question myself - how grateful do I act for all that is given to me? I think I still have quite a bit of humbling to go. These are pictures of us at the RMHC. We got to play Santa for all of the families! I was so excited to do it, I couldn't sleep the night before - I was like a little kid! I woke up at three, four, five and finally pulled Dev out of bed to do it at 5:30! He thought I was pretty silly...I can't imagine how I'll be for our own kids!

3 comments:

The Frasers said...

Heyy! We do live in Salt Lake. We're actually living in the West Village of U Student housing. It's a pretty sweet place!

And for the cute layouts, there is a place called LeeLou Blogs and they do free blog layouts. AND they tell you how to do it. It's super simple, but would take a TON for me to explain! haha

McKay and Jessica said...

hey girl! How are you? Don't you only have 1 semester left? Yay!! Hows the little one? Anyway I figured I'd let you know about my blog and you can get to Christy's and Michelle's from it (although I think Michelle's is on private mode)

Laura said...

Aw, it sounds like your Christmas was very Christ centered! It's unfortunate that some people aren't grateful.